Re: BCAL timing

Hi Blake,

    Nice! Can you give us an update on the BCAL analysis at next
Tuesday's software meeting?

Regards,
-David

Blake Leverington wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I did a quick fit to your corrected resolution_#deltat vs Ephoton plot I.
>    TF1 *f1 = new TF1("f1","sqrt(([0]*1/sqrt(x/1000))^2 + ([1])^2)
> ",150,650); The result is in the plot with the energy dependent term
> being 152ps and the constant term is 53 ps. This is for the sigma of
> (tn8+ts8)/2.0 - (tn7+ts7)/2.0 so the resolution is sqrt(2) smaller
> than that as I understand it for reading one end.
>
> -Blake
>
> David Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> Hi Blake,
>>
>>    To minimize the contribution of the timewalk in tn8 to the tn7-tn8
>> time difference, I cut on n8>1000. Likewise, for the timewalk
>> functions of the other tubes, I cut on the "reference" channel's ADC
>> value being large. Granted, this will not remove it completely, but
>> it does reduce it down to a level that is not bigger than the
>> intrinsic spread of the timing distribution of the PMT. Of course,
>> the procedure could be iterated using the previous iteration's
>> timewalk functions to correct the reference channel's time. But
>> again, since the first iteration had so little influence from the
>> timewalk of the reference channel, I don't believe you will see any
>> difference in the final resolution.
>>
>>    You are right. The distributions I produced will have the
>> intrinsic resolution of both cells and so are sqrt(2) larger than the
>> intrinsic resolution of a single cell. In principle, one mat be able
>> to use the timing and energy info from multiple cells to improve the
>> resolution even further. That has to be thought about how to do it
>> correctly.
>>
>>    After talking with Elton and Simon about this current technique,
>> out biggest concern is that using the 2 cells from the BCAL may be
>> canceling some systematic part of the error giving a misleading-ly
>> lower resolution than we would otherwise be able to obtain. I think
>> this depends on how valid it is to assume cell 7 and cell 8 are
>> independent detectors.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -David
>>
>> Blake Leverington wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I had done something like this previously except for the last step
>>> (ts8+tn8)/2 - (ts7+tn7)/2 but I'm wondering how good the walk
>>> corrections are when you plot say n7 vs tn7-tn8. There is a walk in
>>> tn8 as well that does not completely correlate with n7 though they
>>> appear to be corrected nicely. This is my only concern, otherwise
>>> everything looks good from what I see. I guess this a naive question
>>> but since you are taking the difference of 2 sums of the PMT's, does
>>> this still give you the intrinsic resolution or is it 2 cells folded
>>> together? I suppose I can check this myself too.
>>>
>>> I'll use your code to see what I see in the other cells.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Blake

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[