Re: Understanding PDE information

Hi Richard:

You bring very good issues so let me try to clarify here.

The Photonique (CPTA) devices are not primitive by any means.  If one
calls them primitive it only reflects their inability to provide large
batches that all exhibit the same breakdown voltage and this has to do
with the Si wafer treatment, not standard CMOS.  This does not matter
for small SiPM's that will be driven individually but for large area
SiPM's and for hundreds or thousands, it becomes a practical issue.
Ditto for Hamamatsu.  One side benefit of that type of Si treatment is
that it results in lower dark current and this is what also happened to
SensL when they moved from that treatment to CMOS, they went from DR as
low as 200 Hz/pixel to over 1kHz/pixel and are now bringing it down.

On the issue of the PDE, you hit the nail on the head.  The devices
we're getting to try from SensL, mostly 3mm x 3mm but also one 1mm2, are
R&D steps toward the large array where they investigate Si process
treatments, trenching, optimization of pixel size to DR and linearity
etc, etc.  The C20 is not the type the sensor arrays will be made from.
It's much easier for any firm to produce large PDE and fill factors if
they know that only 2mm x 2mm size will be produced and it's a whole
different ball game to know that you're aiming at 1.25 cm x 1.25 cm.
Carl has other 3 mm x 3mm  SiPM's from SensL with huge fill factors that
work well but at -20 C.

I hope this clarifies where we are, what we will get and why we see such
results now.

George