Re: More on BCAL energy deposition

Alex,

The delay of the shower initiation for gammas is already accounted for
in the formula you are using (contains a +/- term for
gammas/electrons).  If you do it again, it will double-count.  I really
don't think it is worth trying to be this precise with the effective
shower profile formula.  It has effective quantities for Z and the
critical energy E_c which are only approximations to the much more
complex behavior being simulated in the MC.  I would not trust the
analytical formula to better than a few percent.  The MC is much more
precise because it does the exact integral numerically.

Richard Jones

Alex Dzierba wrote:
> Hi Beni
>
> Thanks for your observation and I should of course take the effect into
> account - I will.  But - it will make things worse because now I
> consistently
> underestimate the deposition in layer 1 and overestimate in layer 2
> (assuming the simulations are correct) and this will be even more the
> case when I properly distribute the start of the shower into the
> calorimeter.
>
> Cheers
> Alex
>

> At 12:37 PM -0400 6/8/07, beni zihlmann wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>> when you do the analytical calculation you are assuming that the
>> shower starts
>> right at the beginning of layer 1. correct? In the simulation the
>> shower will
>> begin usually inside layer one or even deeper. This might be one of
>> the reasons for
>> the discrepancy.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Beni