Re: Fire at the UofR

Dear Goerge -

   I am at least pleased to hear that you are all safe (well perhaps
some frost bite). We will all hope for the best with you lab space.

   I would note that it sounds like your fire alarm worked. We had a
situation at CMU about eight years ago where we had a roof fire.
Unfortunately, the fire alarm system could not be heard in most of
the building because (1) I clanked at about 0.1 Hz while tapping out
some sort of Morse code on  a paper tape so the firemen would know
where the fire was. It then shut off after 15 seconds so as not to waste
paper tape. Fortunately we were all assured by the phsyical plant people
that this was "up to code" so we had to be safe and "it was too expensive
to replace" so we must be safe.

    cheers -- Curtis

--
Professor Curtis A. Meyer        Department of Physics
Phone:  (412) 268-2745          Carnegie Mellon University