Calorimeter CDR and some general comments on document prep

Hi All

I just uploaded a new version of the BCAL section of the CDR
document:   BC_calorimetry.pdf
here:
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/CDR_Calorimeter

This version incorporates comments from George and the discussion
about calorimeter construction details now is in a single appendix (not 3).

Some general suggestions about collaborative document preparation:

I would like to ask people to consider using the
"Text Edits" feature of Acrobat - if you have it available.  It is a
powerful tool and useful when collaborating on a document.  Matt and
I have used it in the past.   I am attaching a JPEG that is a snapshot
of the Acrobat Help info and a one-page PDF document that has been
marked up.

One of the advantages of using this, as opposed to referring to
specific pages, paragraphs, lines  -- as often happens when communicating
edits via e-mail --  is these references change as the document evolves.
Having a marked-up PDF provides some immunity from this problem.

Another useful feature is the "Extract pages" Acrobat feature so you can
first extract the pages you want to comment on into a separate PDF
and then mark that up.

This may also be a good way for us to comment on talks in the
run-up to dry runs, since it is easy to provide PDF versions of talks.

We will be doing a lot more collaborative document preparation, for
example, the next task will be the Tracking Chamber CDR (editor:
Curtis).   I may be mistaken, but I think a good way to proceed (based
on having done a lot of document preparation for GlueX in the past -
like the PAC30 document) is to have a single person do the final
assembly and editing but have input from all those who have a stake
in what goes in and what finally comes out.

I won't be involved in any this after April - but establishing a
working pattern like this might prove useful for future work of
this sort.

Two more comments:

1.  It might be a good idea to use the CDR documents we are preparing
as the place where we keep the most up-to-date information about the
project.  Right now information is scattered about an assortment of
documents on the portal or Wiki and quite a bit (or some) of it is not
consistent.

2.  The GlueX portal is a marvelous tool and people have used it
effectively to post information.   There may some practices that
could be implemented to help make it even more useful.   For example,
perhaps documents that are Talks given at our meetings/reviews
could be easily identified as such.   It might also be good for us to
follow some self-policing:
1 - Make sure the GlueX-doc-xxx-vn you are writing has GlueX-doc-xxx -vn
explicitly on the first page or better yet, every page.  There are ways
in LaTeX, Word, PPT to do this.
2 - It would be helpful to have an abstract - introduction and conclusion
section for the document.  The latter is probably the most important.
3 - Avoid duplication information in documents - refer to other documents
or update a document with a new version number rather than just post
a new document.

OK - no more fussing :-)

Cheers
Alex

Alex R. Dzierba
Chancellor's Professor of Physics (Emeritus)
Department of Physics / Indiana U / Bloomington IN 47405 / 812-855-9421
JLab Visiting Fellow
Jefferson Lab / 12000 Jefferson Ave / Newport News, VA 23606 / 757-269-7577
Home Phone: 812-825-4063  Cell:  812-327-1881  Fax: 866-541-1263
http://www.dzre.com/alex

text_edits.jpg

page_6.pdf