Re: temperature test

Elton and Beni,

Paul and I were talking about these bases -- see below.

-Matt

from Paul:

One thing Beni probably isn't doing is putting them into the "power
down" mode which puts the processor and CAN transceiver to sleep
(while maintaining the HV).  Although he already isn't seeing a
temperature rise, and this will make them produce even less heat.  I
saw an email from Elton suggesting Beni provide a pulsed light source
to increase the current draw, but I've always found that with
realistic light levels and rates this makes no detectable difference
in the power consumption.  I believe the average anode current is only
something like 1 microAmp.  This is into 50 ohms, so the base is only
supplying 50 microWatts to the outside world.  The incremental
efficiency is something like 50%, so the base consumes an extra 100
microWatts; insignificant compared to 100 milliWatts.

In any case, this temperature rise seems like a very difficult
measurement for such a small # of bases; he would have to thermally
insulate the setup extremely well to see any temperature rise.  I'd
just use the worst case power consumption of say 1/4 W per base,
multiply by 2800 bases = 700 W that has to go somewhere.