Back-of-the-envelop photon estimates

Hi Will,

At the last Bcal readout meeting you showed some estimates of photons
expected in the Bcal that were (factor of 3) lower than the 10,000
photons/side I have used. I promised to get back on a quick estimate of
this number. Here it is:

1. Number of photos/MeV of scintillator = 10,000/MeV (PDG July 2008 Sec
28.2)
2. 1 GeV photon deposits 120 MeV in scintillator (0.12 sampling fraction)
3. Capture fraction/side in fiber is 5.4% double clad, 3.1% single clad,
corresponding to 26deg and 20 deg total internal reflection angles. I take
4% because we have double clad, but these do not seem to yield full
capture relative to single clad.
4. Attenuation from center to one side
(atten length=280 cm) = exp(-200/280) = 0.5

Putting all this together gives
Number of photons at end of Bcal = 10^4/MeV x 120 MeV x 0.04 x 0.5 =
24,000 photons per side.

The number we get is smaller than this by a factor of 2, but is normalized
to the measurements of Bcal prototypes. The Montecarlo estimates of the
shower actually yield somewhat higher estimates (40k/side), but losses at
different stages reduce the calculated number.

I believe the main difference from your estimate from
http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/images/5/58/LightCollection.pdf
and the one above is due to the assumed loss of light due to attenuation
(factor of 20 instead of 2). The PDG claims the loss can be "95%... in a
large collider tracker." This is not consistent with our calorimeter
design or measurements and I'm not sure why this would be so large, but it
is for a different application.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith