Re: Kuraray invoice for approval for Drop Shipment (fwd)

Hi Elton:

a short progress report.

Modifications to the no of pe measuring station will be completed
tomorrow.  These included small electrical upgrades, an improved
design of a plexiglas collet that couples to the PMT and changes to
our historic coffin.  All these aimed at having a durable,
reproducible setup and DAQ time per fiber for adequate stats is now
2-3 min plus 5-8 min of fiber handling. Speedy!  We hope to start the
no of pe measurements tomorrow afternoon.  As soon as we have the
first results I'll send them around and this will be the last number
we need for "full" approval of the first Kuraray shipment.

Atten length scans of 140 fibers from the first 33,000 are done.  We
will aim to complete 320 (1%) before next shipment arrives.

There are many other things moving along.  Briefly, electrical and
pressure lines to construction room are done and so is most of the
airflow ducting.  Framing and drywall goes in tomorrow.  The swager
area should be ready  by early next week.  Last (large) baby cal is
nearly done.  It will be machined soon by Dan and we will study the
matrix pitch and then finalize the swager gap.  Preps for receipt of
next fiber shipment are under way.  We have a very good processing
system for fiber QA and the students have supplied me with the
detailed write up that will go into a report, once I finish the 1st
article report (I should have a draft to circulate in a couple of
days).  We are working on extra space over what we have been assigned,
for handling and storage.

Most ordered equipment is in: we have a brand new picoammeter for the
attenlen (the old one stays with the SiPM) and NIM Coinc box, a new
isolation transformer for clean power on the SiPM (no of pe) setup, a
diffuser has been installed in the atten length scan setup that makes
the measurements less sensitive to fiber positioning.  Spare parts
have been received for the FiberFin polisher and Dan and Keith will
modify it to include a safety switch (an omisision in design) to
protect the diamond tool.   A new PC and new laptop have also been
added to our arsenal.  Pending: a second calibrated photodiode, a new
8-unit CFD discriminator and a dual gate generator.  So as you can
see, we have splurged with our NSERC grant (total around C$30,000 -
read: contributed from Regina) and more spare parts (LEDs, etc) will
be ordered soon so that we are totally prepared for failures and can
replace parts with minimal stoppage.

Scheduling Facilities Management work on both our labs, dealing with
broken equipment and commissioning new stuff have caused some small
delays, but we're almost out of the thicket.

One problem:  the UV diode laser's power has dropped significantly.
We contacted the manufacturer and got instructions what we can test,
but it could be that the laser head diode is simply dying (life
expectancy ~1000 hours and we've had it for almost 2.5 years).  If
this is the case, we are told it takes $US5,600 to repair and the
whole head has to be sent to Germany.  I'll keep you posted on this as
it is a major cost item and we have no funds for it.  If JLab cannot
find funds for this repair, we might consider a UV LED illumination of
the SPMMicros and Arrays.

Finally, the two shipping companies have responded and after a quick
round this afternoon on clarifications, we should have their numbers
tomorrow and I will send those asap to you and Teresa.

Cheers, Zisis...

On 18-Jun-09, at 7:15 AM, Elton Smith wrote:

> HI George,
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> 1) When do you think we will be able to approve the shipment?
> 2) Please confirm that you can receive the second shipment on Jul 1.
>
> Thanks, Elton.
>
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, George Lolos wrote:
>
>> Hi Elton:
>>
>> I had discussions with Andrei and the students on the fiber testing.
>> A number of randomly selected fibers from several different lot
>> numbers have been tested for attenuation length and Andrei has
>> compiled the results from the students.   The mean of the
>> distribution
>> of the attenuation length is around 3.5 m with an RMS of ~ 0.2 m.
>> So,
>> the fibers tested meet specifications.   More fibers would have been
>> tested but a piece of the fiber polishing tool broke and shut down
>> operations.  Spares have been ordered and will arrive either tomorrow
>> or Friday.  Once the unit is repaired, measuring the attenuation
>> length will resume but so far so good.
>>
>> The number of photo-electrons has not been measured yet because the
>> only surviving SiPM board was burnt out.  Now that it's repaired,
>> Andrei will resume measurements this afternoon and will communicate
>> his results once he analyzes them.  If we find any problems in any
>> lot
>> number, we'll communicate our results and the methodology according
>> protocols.
>>
>> The number of fibers shipped is quite large and with operations being
>> still in the initial phases and with new students to train, some
>> patience will be required, initially.  We are also finding out what
>> we
>> need in terms of spares to assure an uninterrupted operation for the
>> big QA to come.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> George
>>
>> On 16-Jun-09, at 9:30 AM, Elton Smith wrote:
>>

>>> HI Zisis et al.,
>>>
>>> Kuraray has invoiced us for the first shipment of fibers. We would
>>> like to
>>> pay them as soon as we are confident that the fibers are ok. (Note
>>> that
>>> even after payment, Kuraray is responsible still responsible for
>>> fibers
>>> meeting specifications). From the data presented last week, the
>>> fibers
>>> meet our attenuation length specs. I also assume that visual
>>> inspection
>>> shows no obvious problems. Have you had a chance to take a look at
>>> the
>>> number of p.e.?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Elton.
>>>

>>> Elton Smith
>>> Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
>>> 12000 Jefferson Ave
>>> Suite # 16
>>> Newport News, VA 23606
>>> elton@jlab.org
>>> (757) 269-7625
>>> (757) 269-6331 fax

---
Dr. Zisis Papandreou		|  email: zisis@uregina.ca
Department of Physics	|  tel. : (306) 585-5379
University of Regina		|  tel. : (306) 585-4149
Regina, SK  S4S 0A2		|  fax. : (306) 585-5659
World Wide Web:    http://www.phys.uregina.ca/sparro/zisis/