Re: VME64x Pinout for F1TDC, fADC125, fADC250

Hi,

The document is very useful and even though it may seem like duplicated
effort, I have attached two spreadsheets.  The first is simply a
consolidated one page view of P1 & P2 assignments for the FADC-250,
F1TDC, and FADC-125.  The second is a proposed 21 slot VXS backplane map
that has been sent to VXS crate enclosure companies for budget
estimates.  As you may all know, we have been performing all prototype
testing with 12 slot VXS crates and the payload port to physical slot
map must be defined for the full crate systems this year.

I have omitted the FADC-250 P0 connection definitions, because we will
have to re-assign these pins after we have results from the prototype
R&D activities that include the flash and the energy sum 'collector'
board.

We definitely do not want to implement a VXS transition card scheme,
because that implies even more distribution hardware.  I am waiting to
receive the budgetary estimate for the 21 slot backplane (crate and
power supply included) so that a concise cost comparison can be
performed.  I strongly agree with the VXS signal distribution technique,
and we have maintained the idea of Switch A for the crate energy sum
output path, and Switch B for the inbound 'common' signals.(Clock(s),
Trigger, Sync) for some time.  No work assignments have been started for
signal distribution hubs, but design research effort has been started
for the Switch B and Trigger Interface board projects.  We continue to
maintain the 'hub' hardware for various F1TDC installations and for
legacy users with (small) lab experiments without the need for VXS, the
'hub' design is a simple solution.

I will take this opportunity to mention that I will continue with
drawings for the readout 'system' with an emphasis on the Level 1
Trigger viewpoint.  There are plenty of design definitions to resolve
for the trigger system, and I think it would be an important working
group session for the October collaboration meeting.

Please send your comments, suggestions, and flames at your earliest
convenience.

Cheers,
Chris
cuevas@jlab.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>    I have attached a file that captures the pin allocations for the
> various VME modules. This document also elaborates on the signal
> distribution, either via a hub or a VXS switch card. I have also
> uploaded this document to the Hall D portal (Gluex-doc-857).
>
>    Although VXS caries additional upfront costs due to the connectors
> and backplane, the cost of a hub implementation may actually be higher
> if installation costs and reliability are considered. I, therefore,
> recommend that we proceed with the design of the VXS switch card
> signal distribution before spending valuable resources on signal
> distribution hubs. I believe that additional features can be explored
> on the design of the switch card given the I2C serial interface.
>
>    Please do not hesitate to send me your comments or corrections.
>
> Regards,
> Fernando

P1P2P0_Listings.pdf

21SlotVXSMap.pdf