Improved Spectra-Strip Cable -- TPO insulation

Hall D Electronics:

Hi,
	FYI - here (finally) is info on a possible improvement to the signal
cable design. The cost is slightly higher, but the dielectric loss
factor is about 30 times lower and almost certainly much more
temperature stable. This would mean:
	- Increased signal swing into the ADC125 (and F1TDC for FDC anodes)
modules, hence lower noise level and lower potential for interference
pickup.
	- Much less temperature sensitivity. Yes the temperature of the cables
in GlueX is not expected to vary more than a degree or two, but can
anyone tell me today at what exact temperature the cable will be at? The
equalization has to be designed for a particular temperature if PVC is used.
	- Most importantly, we have not yet addressed in any way the potential
need for frequency equalization of the signal cables for FDC anodes,
connecting the preamp/discriminator outputs to F1TDC boards. Dielectric
loss in those cables will lead to a shift of effective propagation delay
for the LVDS signal from discriminator to F1TDC if there was a
preceeding pulse within ~1 us or so. This can probably be corrected
offline, if the readout window is set large enough to see any precursors
to the pulse of interest. Or some equalization could be incorporated in
the new F1TDC. I don't think either of these things has been
contemplated yet. If the dielectric loss is significantly lower, this
whole issue may completely go away.
	I have asked (see below) for a sample of some similar cable if they
have any... I hope so, then I will measure loss and report on it.
	If the cost is only 10% higher, and it does not impact the size, mass,
or safety ratings, then I would think we should strongly consider to use
the better TPO insulation.
	Fernando especially, please think about this and get back to me & Joe.
It would be nice to make a timely response to Amphenol on this.
	Thanks,

		Gerard