Re: Suggestion for routing the Bcal and Fcal cables

Hall D Electronics:

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:

Dear all,

I think to think about cabeling of the FCal without knowing the exact
trigger algorithm is a bit early.

The BCal with putting upstream and downstream together and than having
left right is pretty obvious.
Tim before we do a lot of studies on the mechanical side, we give alex a
bit more time. This is something we can look into in autumn, because the
mechanical design of the detectors is not affected by it.

Cheers elke

> [...]
> > 9              240-270
> >
> > In order to ensure coverage across the boundary between crates, the
> > trigger would need to create overlapping crate sums. These would include
> > 1+2, 2+3, 3+4, 4+5, 5+6, 6+7, 7+8, 8+9, 9+10, 10+11, 11+12, 12+1. This
> > granularity corresponds to an azimuthal angle range of 60 degrees. For
> > example [I'm guessing here] a cosmic-ray trigger could be formed in the
> > SSP using opposing regions such as 2+3 * 8+9 or 3+4 * 9+10 or 4+5 * 10+11.
> > This concept should be checked by the trigger experts.
> >
> > Cabling for the Fcal.
> > --------------------
> >
> > General: For the purpose of making coincidences between the Fcal and the
> > FTOF, one might consider cabling the Fcal in either vertical or horizontal
> > columns (rows). Background rates, however, are a very strong function of
> > the distance from the beamline, and so it makes more sense to combine Fcal
> > blocks within concentric rings into the same crate. This also keeps the
> > azimuthal symmetry of the detector which I believe is a very desirable
> > feature of the trigger.
> >
> > A rough division of rings (within two radii) is given below, where each
> > block is 4x4=16cm2. Each crate is assumed to house 16 fADCs (256 blocks)
> > For 11 crates this corresponds to 2816 blocks (nominal number is 2800).
> > The last crate corresponds approximately to a single ring of blocks at the
> > outer layer of the Fcal.
> >
> > crate   area    radius(cm)
> >          (cm2)
> > 1	4096	36.1081486
> > 2	8192	51.06463346
> > 3	12288	62.54114794
> > 4	16384	72.21629719
> > 5	20480	80.7402748
> > 6	24576	88.44653962
> > 7	28672	95.53318149
> > 8	32768	102.1292669
> > 9	36864	108.3244458
> > 10	40960	114.1839917
> > 11	45056	119.7571808
> >
> > At the trigger level, different trigger thresholds or selection criteria
> > could be easily applied at the crate level. These thresholds should be
> > applied to everlapping sums to ensure that showers that straddle the
> > boundaries have the same efficiency in the trigger as showers in the
> > middle of a sum. This scheme with rings, requires the least number of
> > elements in the sum which is two. [Note that cabling in for example
> > quardrants will require four elements into the sum, since a shower could
> > in principle hit at the corner of for regions].
> >
> > Energy sums which can be used for selection with a threshold would be the
> > sum of two crates, i.e. 1, 1+2, 2+3, 3+4, 4+5, 5+6, 6+7, 7+8, 8+9, 9+10,
> > 10+11, 11+12, 12. This granularity provides a reasonable granularity even
> > for the simplest trigger scheme which is presently proposed.
> >
> > This scheme requires cables around an entire Fcal ring routed to a single
> > crate. In particular this means that cabling would not be partitioned
> > north and south which might be the most elegant cabling solution.

 ( `,_' )+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=
  )    `\                                                  -
 /    '. |                                                  +
 |       `,              Elke-Caroline Aschenauer            =
  \,_  `-/                                                    -
  ,&&&&&V         Jefferson Lab                                +
 ,&&&&&&&&:       HALL-D 12C / F381       121-A Atlantic Avenue =
,&&&&&&&&&&;      Suite 8                 Hampton, VA 23664      -
|  |&&&&&&&;\     12000 Jefferson Ave                             +
|  |       :_) _  Newport News, VA 23606  Tel.:  001-757-224-1216  =
|  |       ;--' | Mail:  elke@jlab.org    Mobil: 001-757-256-5224   -
   \_    |  |---' Tel.:  001-757-269-5352                             =
     `-._\__/     Fax.:  001-757-269-6331                              -