Additional Integration meeting notes

Hi,

I comment on a few decisions taken at the 11-Jun-01 Integration meeting:

Readout crates in the hall
--------------------------

Two plans make sense to me:  1) all crates in the hall, moving with the detector
assemblies (if needed) to minimize cable lengths and eliminate as many
connectors as possible, and 2) all crates in the counting house to minimize
startup, maintenance, and troubleshooting time, etc.

We decided that all crates should be in the hall, but were a little fuzzy about
crates moving with the detectors.  If the primary goal is to minimize cables
lengths and eliminate connectors, it makes little sense to place a fixed crate
next to the detector with long cables and/or many connectors to allow the
detector to move but allow the crate to remain stationary.  I feel crates should
move with the detectors if necessary to achieve the primary goal.

I further propose that we maintain complete electrical isolation of the counting
house from the detector, i.e. all connections between the hall and counting
house should be via
fiber.  This will be a great advantage in designing a grounding/shielding
strategy for the detector.  Note our grounding/shielding design may affect the
overall building design, so we need this about the same time we start working
with an A&E firm.

An exception might be a small number of general purpose signal cables to allow
us to debug electonics while the beam is on, although even these may be
unnecessary.

Finally, extensive monitoring and control capability of detector components and
auxiliary systems is needed due to lack of access when the beam is on.

Coordinate system, units
------------------------

We decided:  RH coord system, z is along beam, y is up, x according to RH rule.
Also: cm, Gev, nsec (at least I think we settled on nsec...).

CAD system
----------

IDEAS, free for all collaborating universities, the standard at JLab.  Contact
Eric Scott or E.Wolin for details on how to obtain IDEAS.

Note that the JLab civil construction group uses AutoCAD.

Access for maintenance
----------------------

We decided that it will take a maximum of 1 shift to remove any detector
component...design accordingly!  I assume there will be exceptions, e.g. the
large magnet pieces.

Magnet
------

Iron rings will fill the spaces between the coils, and the upstream end plate
will have a large hole to allow for insertion/removal of detector components.

Installation group
------------------

The Integration group will morph into the Installation group when appropriate.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

   Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com

    "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard