Civil / Hall Dimensions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 15:57:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>
To: Hall D Collaboration <halld-collab@dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu>
Cc: elton@jlab.org
Subject: Civil / Hall Dimensions

Hello All,

We have been making drawings of the Hall D site to prepare a package that
could go out to an A&E firm. I will try to send out any updates to
dimension specifications for comments. Silence will be taken as implicit
agreement:

1. The height of Hall D (Design report p 116) is specified as 13 m. We
assume this includes room for a crane, which hangs (bottom of hook) 2 m
below. For clarity, I wish to specify "clear hook height" instead, which I
take to be 13 - 2 = 11 m. This new specification removes any uncertainty
about type/size of crane, support structure, etc which we do not care
about. (Note that we decided that beam is 3.5 m above the Hall D floor).

2. Question: Informally we have been discussing the location of electronic
racks/ lenghts and location of cables. One idea is to take put electronics
outside Hall D (i.e. where they can be accessed during beam). Everything
being equal, access is always desirable. To minimize cable lengths one
might consider putting the detector closer to one wall (north/south). This
would make a larger staging area for installation/erection (opposite to
where cables come out). Any thoughts people might want to contribute on
this point?

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab