VLPCs

HI Andi,

Though I might pass this information along. Jorge Morfin from Fermilab
gave a seminar last Friday. The talk was on a Neutrino program which is
being proposed to use the MINOS neutrino oscillation facility. They
propose a parasitic run in 2005 (with MINOS) and a dedicated run in 2008.

Their detector is based on a calorimeter with
- 2cm x 2cm x 200 cm scintillator calorimeter with VLPC readout.
- triangular scintillator cross section with wavelength-shifting fibers
down the middle of the scintillator for readout.

Passive calorimeter shielding is permanent magnetic iron sheet (3.8 KG)

parasitic running with CH, C, Fe and Pb targets

dedicated running with H2 (1.5 m x 0.8 m) target (!) and 1/2 ton D2

The claim is that VLPCs cost $50/channel, but hoping for $5/ channel.

Cost given were $M 1.3 / 12.5 k channels including electronics.

Sounded very optimistic to me, but more experiments using this technology
the better.

Cheers, Elton.

Jefferson Lab