solenoid status Sat 10-26 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:08:40 -0400
From: Paul Brindza <brindza@jlab.org>
To: Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org>
Subject: solenoid status Sat 10-26

Gents

This morning there were 9 trucks at LANL.
including three that are 100 feet long.
These have the ~ 50 ton pieces that are also overwide.

Murphy struck on Thursday afternoon.
LANSCE started operations for the Lujan Neutron area and the RAD Con
folks locked the only gate that would allow the big trucks in to the
Area A parking lot where the solenoid was staged.
Even the small trucks had a very hard time turning in to the parking lot
directly from the road.

So... We started to negotiate with LANSCE ops for some gate openings
which require accelerator shutdowns.
We also started relocating the smaller items to a truck friendly parking
lot.
Then the forktruck broke down.
Thursday nite was somewhat sleepless!

On Friday Morning the backup fork truck arrived and so did the three 100
foot trucks.
These trucks are so big they had to be assembled on site.
By Friday night all three 100 foot trucks were loaded and thru the
Acclerator gate
with the drivers off site sleeping in their Cab - Condo -Combos.
All other items were staged for loading in another parking lot.
The riggers gear was also all loaded and their truck ready for the trip
to IU.

The LANL folks have really helped us a lot.
All the good will built up over the last two years has paid off big time.

Many Thanks to Dick Werneck,  Johnny Herrara, Ralph Abernathy and
Anthony George.These guys were great especially Dick as he negotiated
the negative beam time!
All of this would not have been possible without the support of Kevin
Jones Deputy Lansce Director.

Saturday morning the three 100 foot trucks hit the road just as six more
trucks arrived.
They will be loaded by noon LANL time and on the road.
There are two more trucks coming.
Arrangements have been made to load them on Monday if they get really lost.
The Lockwood Bros. supervisor will stay and the LANL guys will run the
fortrucks if necessary.Arrangements are also made for a Sunday loading
if necessary.

Doug and Calvin(JLAB guys) are going to leave Sunday as planned.
The Lockwood truck will also hit the road for IU on Sunday.

There are either 12 or 13 trucks in all.

Lockwood Bros. has rented a crane to unload at IUCF.
They are also bringing cribbing and tarps for the outdoor items.

They will unload everything.
IUCF may want to run the house crane and if you do then thats the only
work you will have to do.

The items that are supposed to go inside are the four coils and the
Helium fridge.
There is a 40foot shipping container with magnet parts and the Helium
compressors inside.
The container should get emptied and sorted at a convenient time.

I suggest that the compressors get inside storage too as an accidental
freeze would be a disaster.
All water cooled stuff has gotton blown out and antifreezed at LANL but
it is much better to be safe.

I am arriving Tuesday  and will be at the Unversity Inn 'nee Holiday Inn.
It will likely be latearriving so I'll check in Wed Morning.

The contact information has been communicated to Lockwood so I don't
expect any hitches.

I'll send one more update as soon as hear from the guys at LANL.

Paul