Seminar on controls may be interesting for Hall D

Hi,

Next week a visitor from the Josef Stefan Institute (Slovenia) will give a seminar on
controls software developed by his group and used at numerous European labs and at the
SNS.  Tentative date is Tues 4-Mar at 1:30, probably in L102.

The package is named Abeans/Cosybeans, and it is sort of a glorified CDEV.  It actually is
a framework within which you develop a controls application.  It abstracts out the
communication to the underlying devices and provides a new layer of tools to sit on top of
them (display widgets, alarms, logging, etc.).  The software talks to devices through
"plugs".  Currently plugs exist for Epics, Corba, Tine, etc, and new ones are easily written.

Two controls models are provided and new ones can be created.  They started with a
hierarchical, object-based device/property model, then added a simple channel model for
dealing with Epics.

The visitor (Ales Pucelj) will be here for two days, Tues,Wed 4,5-Mar.  Let me know if you
would like to talk with him.  Technically he is visiting the DAQ group.

I see this as the first good alternative in my never-ending quest to avoid basing the Hall
D controls system on Epics.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

     "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

                "Secular man, by playing God, becomes the devil"

Elliott Wolin
Stalag 602-11
Gulag ARC-ipelago