Paper: hep-ex/0303019
From: K.K. Gan <gan@mps.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:34:33 GMT   (396kb)

Title: Radiation-hard ASICs for optical data transmission in the ATLAS pixel
   detector
Authors: K.K. Gan, et al
Comments: 8th Tropical Seminar on Innovative Particle and Radiation Detectors,
   Siena, Italy (2002)
\\
   We have developed two radiation-hard ASICs for optical data transmission in
the ATLAS pixel detector at the LHC at CERN: a driver chip for a Vertical
Cavity Surface Emitting Laser (VCSEL) diode for 80 Mbit/s data transmission
from the detector, and a Bi-Phase Mark decoder chip to recover the control data
and 40 MHz clock received optically by a PIN diode. We have successfully
implemented both ASICs in 0.25 um CMOS technology using enclosed layout
transistors and guard rings for increased radiation hardness. We present
results from prototype circuits and from irradiation studies with 24 GeV
protons up to 57 Mrad (1.9 x 10e15 p/cm2).
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-ex/0303019 ,  396kb)