Re: GlueX electronics review

Hi Elton

I have a feeling that structuring the discussion to be more like a review
than a workfest is preferably because it will force us to focus more and
hopefully do serious homework before the review.  I recall how valuable
the first Hall D was for us and mainly because it forced us to work hard
and think carefully about what we were presenting.  A workfest - I fear
will be too relaxed and not as focused.

Thought?

Alex

At 1:07 PM -0400 4/16/03, Elton Smith wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>We discussed the proposal for the GlueX electronics review. The general
>consensus was that at this stage we might benefit more from a "Workfest"
>than a review, perhaps including external guests for brainstorming and
>feedback. If Andy Lankford, or someone similar, might be willing to
>participate he would help give direction and provide feedback on gaps that
>need attention.
>
>Collaborators that should attend:
>IU (Paul,...)
>JLab Physics (Elton, Dave,...)
>JLab Electronics (Fernando,...)
>JLab DAQ (Ed,...)
>JLab Detector (Randy,...)
>calorimeter (Regina HPD development,...)
>DCs (Dan Carman, Mehmet, Curtis,...)
>Vertex Detector (Werner,...)
>
>Topics:
>On board electronics
>Preamps: DCs/VLPCs/HPDs
>FADCs: Next steps
>F1 TDCs: Testing of full boards in progress
>HV:
>Packaging:
>Trigger:
>DAQ integration:
>
>Potential dates on our side: July 7-18. Perhaps we want to bring up this
>topic at the Hall D phone conference tomorrow.
>
>On a separate, but perhaps related topic, we also discussed various tools
>for electronic design which would be useful to the Fast Electronics group
>for future developments. These would include tools for simulation, perhpas
>chip design, which go beyond the current capabilities of PCAD. Fernando is
>visiting Fermi and Brookhaven (for CLAS developments) but will inquire
>how these labs support electronic projects.
>
>On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Paul Smith wrote:
>

>>  >1. Schedule
>>
>>  I was thinking of say 2 days sometime in June or July.
>>

>>  >2. Background of reviewers. Options include a) Jlab+Friends to give us
>>  >feedback b) ask one or more "well-known" experts to come into town. For
>>  >option b) we might be able to piggy-back on somebody coming to Jlab for
>>  >other purposes.
>>

>>  It seems to me it should be someone from outside JLab.  One
>>possible person I
>>  thought of was Andy Lankford - he authored some general articles about BaBar
>>  electronics.  Elliott suggested someone from D0, I don't recall the name.
>>

>>  >3. What is the main purpose of the review. Look at detailed designs and
>>  >give feedback? Look at very general layouts and provide advice on what
>>  >avenues to pursue? Location of electronics? Connections to DAQ?
>>  >

>>  Well, I don't think we're quite to detailed designs yet.  I thought it would
>>  be a review of what we propose in the v4 design report.  Does what
>>we propose
>>  make sense?  Should we be pursuing something different from what is in the
>>  report?  Where are we likely to have problems?  Is there anything which will
>>  raise red flags down the road, say when we get to a Lehmann review?
> [...]

Alex R. Dzierba - Professor of Physics
Department of Physics - Indiana University - Swain West 117
727 E 3rd Street - Bloomington, IN 47405-7105
Office - (812)855-9421   855-0440 (fax)
Cell - (812) 327-1881
Home - (812) 825-4063  (812) 825-4152 (fax)
Secretary:  Donna Martin (812) 855-2785
dzierba@indiana.edu
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba
Visit the College: http://www.indiana.edu/~college/