Status after Isabel

Dear collaborators,

I thought I should send out quick note with a brief summary of the status
of JLab following hurricane Isabel that came through this area last
Thursday. This has been the largest storm to hit this area in the fifteen
years that I have been here.

"Essential" personnel reported to the lab yesterday. As of this morning
the lab is back to "normal" operation. Power to the lab was restored over
the weekend, but 50% of the area remains without electricity. From
persons I know, at least two have suffered severe damage to their homes,
and many have uprooted trees on their property. But many of us were very
fortunate and suffered relatively minor direct damage.

The impact of the storm on the laboratories schedule is not fully known at
this point, however, the (superconducting) accelerator cavities are all
warmed up to room temperature.  Getting the accelerator back on line could
easily take one month or more. The lab director instructed us that safety
has the highest priority in the recovery effort, not the run schedule.
Fortunately, no damage was done to the experimental areas, which were
secured before the storm by the hard work of the technical teams and
physicists responsible for detector systems.

Sincerely,

Elton.

Jefferson Lab