Re: Power for farm racks

Hi Chris,

I spoke to Andy about power consumption in the racks for the farm. They
use 4 20A@110 breakers per rack = 8KVA. At the moment they are using dual
processors. The most power hungry versions use 4A at 110V (0.4 KVA) per
box x 12.5 boxes per rack = 5KVA (uppper limit on actual usage).

The network switch actually comsumes considerable power, about 4 20A@230V
~ 20 KVA. Unlike electronics in general, switches seem to require more
power as they go to higher speeds, not less, so we need to follow this
requirement carefully.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab