Questions from civil

Dear collaborators,

During discussions at the civil design review this afternoon, the
following questions came up. I have also added comments and/or my
response. Please check and send me corrections/comments by tomorrow if
possible. However, I realize some of these issues may not be resolved
immediately. We will have a couple of weeks to address issues that require
more work.

1. Units (metric or English) for floor loadings in Hall D, collimator hut,
and tagger building
- Hall D: all metric tons
- collimator alcove: weights given in pounds so no ambiguity
- Tagger building: all metric tons (comes from Jim Kellie's
transparencies)

2. There are drains in the tagger building and Hall D. We were asked if we
wanted any slopes in the floor to help drainage.
- My inclination is that with installation of heavy loads we probably want
the floors to be flat, but comments anyone?

3. Radcon has made many requests to add shielding to the electron beam
dump area, particularly to prevent ground water contamination. To offset
cost increases they think that it is safe to reduce the length of the
electron beam dump tunnel. The current suggestion is to reduce the length
by about 16'. This will be discussed in more detail tomorrow.
- I have already sent an advanced note to Richard about this. This is an
issue that we want to study in more detail.

4. We are asked to verify that the 10' door height into the tagger
building is still adequate, especially considering the relatively high
grade of the ramp down into the building. (As far as I know this is not a
change, but it is worth double-checking)
- Ravi did various studies of installation of the tagger magnet. We can
try to confirm that a 10' heigh door was used for the studies.

More discussion tomorrow.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab