CDC end plate

Hi Elke/Elton,

After our conversation about end plate deflection, I looked up my
calculations.
The downstream endplate (6mm carbon/epoxy) would deflect 13 mm with a
55g tension from each wire, 9 mm with 37g tension. This assumes straws
do nothing and the wire tension remains constant and upstream plate is
rigid. If we take the straws as they are, this number goes below 50
microns.

The tension in the wires would go to zero after a deflection of 5 mm,
therefore the actual deflection would probably be somewhere below 3 mm
without the straws contributing.

If we reduce the thickness of the straw tubes by 1/2, the buckling load
decreases by (1/2) to the 4th power or 1/16, also, the deflection of the
straw goes up by a factor of 4 .....

Anyway, the actual calculation can be done, it would just take some time.

Handling issues would also have to be addressed if the thickness was
reduced.

Just my thoughts..

Tim
begin:vcard