Re: XML schemas for Hall D

Hi,

A few comments on Richard's note
(http://zeus.phys.uconn.edu/halld/datamodel/doc):

Convergence of MC and DATA
--------------------------

The diagram has MC and data converging as "hits", not as "raw event record".
After much debate all of the experiments I've been on converged via the latter,
i.e. the MC wrote out a simulated event record that included simulated
digitizations.  I understand that experiments vary on this.  I don't think we've
thought enough about this...perhaps we can work this out by email (through this
mail list).

Auto-generation of code
-----------------------

I'm a bit dubious about auto-generation of code to write out efficient binary
files.  Usually one has to order data in groups of repeating types for efficient
unpacking.  Often other tricks are used.  If we do try to auto-generate i/o code
from xml descriptions we have to be careful to get efficient formats.

Note...we also want to be able to read/write data even if only an out-of-date
xml description exists.

Misc
----

Some of Richard's problems with DTD's may be solved by using XML schemas.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

   Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com

    "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard