GlueX Software Meeting

Hi All,

   Here's a reminder about tomorrow's Hall-D Software meeting at
11:00am. Please send me any items you wish added to the agenda.You
can connect via VRVS, send me your phone number and I'll connect
you, or come by ARC 428 if you're on site.

The current agenda is:

1. Calibration/Parameters Database (see below )    (Nikolay)

2. Meeting format (All)

3. AOT

See you there,
-David

Dear collaborators,

As you are no doubt aware, the calibration and parameters database is an
important effort in GlueX and we at Regina started looking at things and
experimenting. At this point we need your help. We prepared a short
questionnaire for your feedback, which will help us tremendously at this
initial stage. Please provide as much information as possible, with any
additional comments and suggestions and references. Don't feel restricted
to the numbered bullets, they just helped us somehow organize it. Please
return by e-mail to Ryan Taylor (taylor.r@gmail.com) or myself
(nkolev@lafite.phys.uregina.ca) and cc to Zisis (zisis@uregina.ca) as soon
as you have filled it. If pieces or whole answers you yet don't know,
leave blank or provide the information that IS already available, please.
Having at least a rough idea or a part of the information can still be
very helpful for us. We will no doubt bother you again and again and
again at later stages.

Questionaire:

0. Any general comments, suggestions, references you may have.

1. Please let us know what your opinion about the database engine we
should use is. Currently we are biased toward relational databases in
general and particularly MySQL. But maybe we could also leave the door
open for object-oriented databases, which are advancing at pace.

2. Current vision on the main parameters and calibration constants for
each part of the detector (numbers, type, persistency, etc.), that is most
importantly YOUR part of the detector.

3. To what extent are calibration parameters incorporated in simulations
or reconstruction for your sub-detector?

4. When (and perhaps how) do you anticipate we can have sample data for
calibration studies? Also status of calibration algorithms (if already
available).

5. Do you envision special calibration streams (e.g. slow controls)?

6. What do you expect to see as an interface to the database (web-browser;
C or C++ or Java or other language-based API; web-service; text or XML
or other file; other; combination of the above)?

7. Please tentatively give a timeline for the above questions in
connection with the Fall 2005 Release 1 of the reconstruction code for
tracking and the 2006 First Data Challenge?
Thank you for your time and efforts for answering our questions.

Nikolay Kolev

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[