GlueX Software Meeting

Hi All,

   Here's a reminder about Today's Hall-D Software meeting at 13:00 EST.
You can connect by phone (see instructions below), or come by CC
F324-325 if you're on site.

The web page for the meeting is on the wiki at:

http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/March_20%2C_2007_Software

The current agenda is:

1. Review minutes from [[March 13, 2007 Software]] meeting
2. Cerenkov Studies (Eugene)
3. Software Coordinator Election(Elliott)

To connect by telephone:
1.) dial:
 800-377-8846 : US
 888-276-7715 : Canada
 302-709-8424 : International

2.) enter participant code: 39527048#  (remember the "#")

See you there,
-David

-- Minutes from March 13th meeting --
==Minutes==

Attendees:  David L.(chair), Elke A., Simon T., Elliott W., Eugene C.
On the Phone: Richard J., Mihajlo K.

===Review minutes from [[February 27, 2007 Software]] meeting===
During review of the minutes from the last meeting, Mihajlo reported
that an issue with
the position resolution getting very poor for low energy showers in the
FCAL has been solved.

Richard noted that a new document on studies of the diamond radiator has
been placed on the web.

===Drift Chamber Review post-mortem===
We discussed the outcome of last week's DC review. The main points were:

* Material in detector
* Simulation/Tracking

For the second point, they were specific in their comments saying that
we need at least 3 people with an integrated manpower committment of 1.5
FTE for the tracking code.

[http://www.jlab.org/ccc/mail_archives/HALLD/halld-tracking-hw/CURRENT/msg00105.html
Elke's message]

===Priorities for CD-2===
We discussed what was going to be needed for the CD-2 review. Elke noted
that we are still not 100% sure what the scope of the CD-2 review will
be. The scope may be affected
by the results of the recent DC review. Right now, we just don't know.

Regardless, from the point of software, we must assume they will focus
on design points that require validation through simulation. Since time
is short, there are 3 main topics that must be addressed in the short term:

* Pattern recognition in tracking
* PID
* BCAL reconstruction

===Collaboration meeting agenda===
It was suggested we add Eugene to the software agenda to discuss some of
the work he has done on the PID issues.

===Computing document for 12GeV operations===
David reported that the IT division (Chip Watson) is trying to put
together a white paper to outline the computing needs for all 4 halls
during 12GeV operations. Since no money is allocated for the computing
in the 12GeV project, computing must come from operations. The purpose
of this paper is to provide a plan that shows it can be done within
those budget constraints. This document will be developed over the next
1.5 months.

During this discussion, Elliott asked about the apparent descrepancy
between the 2002 design document which assumes a 5kB/event size and
Richard's recent spreadsheet which uses 10kB/event. Richard explained
that he simply assumed that M.C. data was twice as big since it included
both hit and truth information.

Richard commented that we want to make sure that the computing plan that
JLab writes up includes empahsis on the need for GRID tools.

===GEANT4 developer visit to JLab===
Two of the lead developers for GEANT4 are currently visiting JLab. They
are available for questions from the JLab G4 user community. Mark Ito
has been trying to take advantage of their time and has had nearly
exclusive access to them during their visit. A meeting was also
scheduled by Paul Gueye and Mark Ito with Lary Cardman and the G4
developers to discuss JLab involvement with the G4 collaboration. David
also attended this meeting.

Mark Ito gave a short presentation to the G4 developers earlier in the
morning to get their opinion on the XML-based scheme. He volunteered to
give the same presentation to the Hall-D Software group in the near future.

===Software Coordinator Election===
It was suggested that we hold an election for the Software Coordinator
and establish a precedent of having the position served for 2-year
terms. Elliott volunteered to run the election. He will advertise it
this week and will announce the results at the next software meeting.

==Action Items==

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[