Hall-D Software Task List, meta-issues

Dave,

Last week you asked me to review the software task list at
http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/Software_tasks.php . I think the
list is fairly complete, but looking it over gave me some thoughts on
how it should be used.

Originally, this was supposed to be a sort of sign-up sheet for projects
that we need to get done. People looking for ways to get involved could
look at the set of unclaimed projects to figure out where they might
contribute. But reading it now it seems more like a list of people
responsible for different areas of the software. Where name = blank
effectively means that no one is responsible right now. These are
actually two different functions, albeit with a lot of overlap.  I
propose that we change it to function as a responsible person list,
perhaps rename it a "List of Areas of Responsibility for GlueX
Software". Note that with that definition:

a) Responsibility can be assigned for both development and maintenance.
Maintenance and implementation of new features is an important function
beyond the delivery of a working system. If there is problem, we all
know who to ask about it.

b) Assignment of responsibility does not necessarily mean assignment of
the work itself. Some folks may be able to sign-up for responsibility
and presumably be willing to collect the necessary manpower. Whether
this is appropriate or not depends on the task.

Tasks/Areas/Projects could be marked as either active, dormant, or
obsolete. In this way we could keep track of items that we are not
working on right now, but want to turn to in the future.

I think the list should be either "wiki-tized" or "subverted" so we can
keep track of history and make changes more easily.

With this definition we could try to assign responsibility for
everything relatively quickly, and assign active/dormant status as a
rough means of prioritizing work.

  -- Mark