error/info reporting, exception handling, etc.

Offliners,

While I am in an epistolary mood let me ask about another few software
items. These are issues that I think have to be addressed on a global,
cooperative level (and I think they have been raised before). They are
related:

1. debug level
Shouldn't we have a convention for setting the level of informational
messages a given package reports and an external way to set it? How
about debug level 0 (silent), 1 (normal information), 2 (some details
about execution), 3 (all the details) or some such?

2. message logging
Should we have some sort of custom stream to capture all of the "print
statements" from the various packages? That would allow a more or less
standard log file to be created from jobs.

3. exception handling
Shouldn't we define a convention for C++ exception throwing and
catching, including a standard DException class?

I remember that some work was done on these things. Does anyone remember
that and if any of that work could serve as a starting point, at least
for discussion?

  -- Mark