Re: mass of thrown particle

Hi Mark,

    So far, that is exactly what I do. Using the pion hypothesis is not
so bad in all cases though. Consider the worst-case scenario of a 1
GeV/c proton with a beta of ~ 0.7. The TOF calculated will be about 30%
off. With a 4 ns flight time, this gives an error of
0.3*4ns*55microns/ns = 66 microns. This is reasonably small compared to
the 150-200 micron position resolutions expected. Of course, for lower
momentum protons, it gets worse. Until we get some sort of PID going
though, I think you're stuck with what you're doing now.

Regards,
-David

Mark M. Ito wrote:
> Folks,
>
> To do the time of flight correction correctly for a trajectory
> generated from the thrown Monte Carlo parameters, I need the mass of
> the thrown particle. How do I get that?
>
> For now I will hard-wire it to the pion mass since I know that is what
> I have thrown when I generated the events.
>
>  -- Mark

 David Lawrence Ph.D.
 Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
 Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
 http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[