Possible EVIO improvements

Hi,

The topic of possible EVIO improvements came up in the recent Hall D
Online meeting.  If you have any thoughts on how EVIO might be improved
for online or offline use, please let me know.  I make no promises, though!

Some things I've heard already:

 - eliminate fixed block size I/O (but maintain backwards compatibility)
 - add a file random access capability
 - add a dictionary facility, i.e. replace (tag,num) pair with arbitrary
string in EVIO API

Note that I am already working on a Java implementation of EVIO vsn 2
that includes a DOM interface to EVIO data.

Thanks,

--

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

 Those raised in a morally relative or neutral environment will hold
		    no truths to be self-evident.

Elliott Wolin
Staff Physicist, Jefferson Lab
12000 Jefferson Ave