Re: evo idle?

Title:
Dear Yang and Franz,

Sorry about the failed evo connection today.  It was working at 9:30, but then a few minutes later, my laptop decided spontaneously to install Microsoft Updates and reboot, and after it came up again I typed the wrong number into the H.323 connection box so the evo room was connected to an empty ESNET conference and I didn't realize it until you had already left.  Sorry about that.  It was my fault, but it is bad that these reboots happen at the worst times and cannot be deferred.

There are several matters that came up during the meeting that I would like input on from both of you.  Please read my notes from the meeting and send around your comments on any other issues that interest you.  But especially,
  1. The dates for the Spring run at CHESS are now fixed at April 30 - May 7.  Will either or both of you plan to be present for the run?
  2. At the meeting we decided to change over from constant fraction to leading edge discriminators everywhere for the tagging counters and the pair spectrometer.  The reason is that even for the CFD's a time-walk correction is anyway required to get optimum resolution.  More fundamentally, the CFD was invented to perform time-walk corrections in hardware, and with the pipelined readout, everything is basically in software now and we don't need that.  My feeling is that over time everyone in the experiment will realise that using CFD's is a mistake with pipelined readout.
once again, sorry for the mixup with the evo connection today,
Richard J.

Jim,
only Yang and I are on EVO but no connection to UConn and Jlab

Franz