Re: Tracks with no hits.

Dave and all,

This seems to be an optimization in the core tracking code of geant that
causes mother volumes to appear empty of daughters under certain special
conditions (floating-point rounding errors) that are usually rare, but
apparently not so rare when all of the interactions are turned off and
you are tracking with a magnetic field!  Bravo for finding such an easy
way to reproduce it.  I have commented out the optimization line in
gtrack.F that causes the fault, and the tracking seems to run at
essentially the same speed, without the errors.  I think we should adopt
the fix permanently, but please check it first and make sure it
completely fixes the problems you found.  The patched gtrack.F can be
found in the HDGeant source directory under the main trunk in svn.  I
have incorporated it into the Makefile.orig that I use to build the
hdgeant executables.  Dave, you will have to incorporate it into the BMS
make system.

-Richard Jones