Re: Fwd: Kfit with timing

Hall D PID Mail List:

Hi Eugene -

   thanks for the update on this. Could I also ask you to post your talk
on the GlueX portal. I am trying to make sure that things in the overview
talk are consistent with what is in your talk, so having quick access
to the most up-to-date version would be extremely useful.

On Mon March 24 2008, Eugene Chudakov wrote:
> Hall D PID Mail List:
>
> Hi all,
>
> after messing around a bit with the event fitting I came to an agreement
> with the points made by Matt Belis. Indeed, using the chi2 of the 4C fit,
> (or a reasonably tight Delta(E) separation after the 3C fit) reduces
> the BG dramatically. With a loose cut of CL>1% along with the PID cuts, practically
> no BG from p2pi+2pi- is left.
>
> For the PYTHIA data, the same cuts lead to a signal/all ratio
> of about 90%. After the kin. cut, the proton PID reduces the BG
> by a factor of 3 and the kaon PID - by a factor of 2.
> For twice larger errors on the tracks and beam, the ratio
> becomes 70%, while for 4-times larger errors it becomes 30%.

   I am not quite sure that I understand the statement. Is it that you
keep 90% of the signal, or that the accepted signal is 90% of
the accepted background? Or am I really confused here?

> If only the 3-mom chi2 is used, the signals/all is about 0.2,
> with the PID suppression factor of about 25.
>
> Thanks to Matt for a nice piece of work and for making his point.
>
> I will change this part of the talk. One may summarize with smth like:
>
> - identification of fully reconstructed events with charged kaons
>   should be feasible, providing the expected quality of pattern
>   recognition, levels of the background, and understanding of the
>   resolutions of the track parameters.

> - Identification of kaon events with a missing particle (a neutron
>   recoil, for example), will most likely require an additional PID.

   I also suspect that this latter statement is true, however the interesting
test will be to repeat Matt's and your studies treating the nucleon as missing
and performing a 1-C fit.

--
Professor Curtis A. Meyer        Department of Physics
Phone:  (412) 268-2745          Carnegie Mellon University