Re: systematic contributions to time-of-flight resolution (fwd fromBeni)

Hall D PID Mail List:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 05:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Benedikt Zihlmann <bzihlman@hep.physics.indiana.edu>
To: Simon Taylor <staylor@jlab.org>
Cc: Matt <bellis@ernest.phys.cmu.edu>, halld-pid@jlab.org
Subject: Re: systematic contributions to time-of-flight resolution

Hi Simon,
the time on the y-axis in ns is the time difference between the true
path length and the path-length given by the swimming routine.
If this is true then the actual contribution to the TOF resolution
is not this time but you should plot the time difference lets say
between a pion and a kaon of the same mometum for the path-length
difference between true and swimming routine. I think this is the time
that contributes to the resolution.
I  hope this number will be much smaller than what you have plotted.
Otherwise we would have a hard time using tof for PID.

cheers,
Beni