Re: diamond for tagged photon experiment

Dr Paul Schoessow,

I received a copy of an email exchange between you and members of the
Jefferson Lab Physics group regarding diamonds for nuclear physics
experiments.  I am a member of the GlueX experiment and am the principal
designer of the coherent bremsstrahlung source where a thin diamond
monocrystal will be used to generate a polarized beam of gamma rays from
a 12 GeV electron beam.  We are presently undertaking a R&D project
using the X-ray diffraction beamline at the CHESS SRS source to study
high-quality diamonds that we have obtrained from DeBeers.  There are
problems with these diamonds that we have not yet learned how to
overcome, but their crystal quality is sufficient for our needs, with a
mosaic spread across the entire surface of a 100mm^2 diamond on the
order of 20 microradians.  The problem is with making them thin enough,
without significant mechanical distortion.  They must be self-supporting
in our current design, apart from a couple of thin wires attaching them
to an outer frame.  You can see more details in the various talks and
papers listed on my web site http://zeus.phys.uconn.edu/halld.

There was not very much information in the emails I saw, but it appears
that your firm has some interest and expertise in diamond manufacturing
and machining.  If so, I would be very interested in discussing our
requirements with you.

Richard Jones
Professor, University of Connecticut

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature