forces on the coils

Hello Yang

I think I was completely wrong with the forces on the coils. If you move
the coils slightly you don't change the stored energy much as this is
determined primarily by the geometry of the iron. This implies the force
on the coil is relatively low. I however would have no idea how to
calculate this. Maybe TOSCA could compute this. This is completely
different than what you have with superconducting magnets.

I took a stab at calculating the magnetic force on the coils. If I assumed
the field inside the coil is 1.5T then I get a radial force on the sides
of the coils of 15 tonnes. As far as hoop forces this seems reasonable.
Do you know the field inside the coils?

Cheers Jim