Re: possible pair spectrometer magnets (fwd)

Jim Stewart wrote:
> Dear tagger
>
> While at BNL I went looking for possible magnets for the pair
> spectrometer. I found several which look like good candidates.
>
> The 20x42 looks to be very interesting. It is a C-Magnet with the
> following characteristics:
>  pole width  508mm
>  pole gap    203mm
>  pole length 1067mm
>  Max field   1.85T
>
> The gap is too large but it would be easy to add plates to the poles to
> reduce this. A C-Magnet has the advantage that on one side of the magnet
> we can measure very low momentum particles. Installing the vacuum chamber
> can also be done without taking the magnet apart.

I agree that this magnet looks interesting.  One thing comes to mind,
though.  When we gave our total floor load to civil, we did not have
something of this magnitude in the plan.  It might be worth a trip over
to the civil engineer's office and toss out a number like 27 additional
tons and see what they say.

Richard Jones