Re: [Fwd: RE: question] (fwd from Leigh Harwood)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:27:16 -0400
From: Leigh Harwood <harwood@jlab.org>
To: Elke-Caroline Aschenauer <elke@jlab.org>
Cc: roblin@jlab.org, halld-tagger@jlab.org, Rolf Ent <ent@jlab.org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: question]

Elke,

You're most welcome.  Irrespective of what some people may say, I try to
be open and transparent.  I consider those part of being a
good/responsible scientist and being a good team member...and, in my
humble opinion, we're all a team working together toward doing good
physics.  :-)

I don't consider your questions out of line, impolite, or anything else
negative.  You have responsibility for insuring that the research
program(s) in Hall D can be done.  If you see something that doesn't
mesh with your previous experience...or reasonable extrapolations from
it....I consider it completely appropriate for you to ask questions to
get a better understanding.

That being said......

I was pretty surprised that the new calculations had no "fuzz ball"
around the core.

One correction to something you wrote:  There ARE non-Gaussian shoulders
on the new distributions.  I have seen graphs (I don't have them; Yves
showed them to me today) that show this to be true.  What the new
calculations don't have are the clearly identifiable "wings".

Indeed, misalignment, residual steering errors, and non-linearities in
the magnets' fields should lead to distortions in the beam's phase space
and "halo".  The synch rad makes the emittance...and thus the beam
size....larger for 12 GeV than we have at 6 GeV.  That emittance growth
also depends on energy (more with higher energy), bend radius (more with
smaller radii) the optics (combination of beta functions and dispersion
function), and total path length in the dipoles.  I haven't looked at
HERA but each of those items are rather different between HERA and
CEBAF.  I don't know the differences between the two machines' for all
those (emittance growth, steering, field quality) so I can't comment on
the relative scales of the contributors to halo OR to what is to be
expected.
Gas scattering can also contribute.

However...again...I would expect there to be some "fuzz" around the core
of the beam.  Why one set of calc's show it and the other doesn't.....I
don't know.
What I can say is that all the effects are included in the simulations:
non-perfect steering, non-perfect fields, and synch rad increases in the
emittance.  And I believe that the optics include some "errors" as
well...but I can't swear to that.  We do not include gas scattering,
however, since a previous analysis showed that there isn't enough gas to
be a problem in a one-time-through machine like CEBAF.

I hope this is helpful...or at least informative.

cheers,

Leigh

PS
Yves, can you do a graph of the energy distribution as Elke asks?
Thanks in advance.