comments from the review

Hello Everyone

There were several suggestions made during the review which I think we
should follow up on.

1) One suggestion was to mount a wire in the goniometer so that we could
scan the profile of the
electron beam.

2) It was suggested to use high tensile strength rods through the magnet
to hold it together instead of bolts.
The rods could be pre-stressed with an hydraulic  press and then the
bolts snugged. This is less machining
and easier than all the bolts. We still need to look into how much
stress is in the piece over the pole.
Here we will need the bolts but the force will be less.

3) It was also suggested to use cylindrical pins to fix the alignment of
the plates to each other. This is illustrated in
the attached figure. Once the magnet is adjusted and bolted together
then the holes for the pins can be bored and
the pins inserted. Three pins are probably reasonable.

4) It was suggested that it may be difficult to take the middle-top iron
off the middle-bottom without
damaging the vacuum vessel. It was suggested that we foresee  the
possibility to use 3 jacks to lift the
iron up the first 10 cm by hand before moving it with a crane.

5) It was pointed out that the way the water circuits in the coils were
organized could effect the
heat exchange efficiency. We should get an example for how to organize
the cooling paths.

6) It was suggested to look into incorporating the iron plates which
reduce the gap in the pair spectrometer
into the top and bottom walls of the vacuum chamber.

Did I miss anything?

Jim

JPEG image