Re: force on pole

Yes I was confused. The 150 tonnes was for the 3.1 m magnets. There would be 221 tonnes on a 6.3 m magnet from your ANSYS analysis. Yang, do you have new numbers from your TOSCA analysis for the 1 piece magnet?

Tim

Tim Whitlatch wrote:
Hi Jim,

This equates to about 150 tons over the 4 meters. This is what Yangs original calculation showed for a 2M magnet? I am assuming his analysis from 2006 was based on a 2 magnet design.

Tim

Jim Stewart wrote:
Hi Tim

I told ANSYS to compute the y component of the force on the flat surface of the TOP pole tip.
The force for this ~1m long surface is -3.445e+005 N. The downstream boundary condition was placed at z=1m.
Is this about what you expect?

Jim

begin:vcard
fn:Timothy Whitlatch, PE