Re: Tagger energy resolution? (fwd from David)

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Alexander Somov wrote:

> The fixed-array counters are ( most likely ) useless for high-lumi
> runs even for the endpoint energy region. The singke counter rate
> in this region is about 5 MHz. As an example, for 20 counters the
> rate is ~ 100 MHz (on average 1 hit every 10 ns). There will be  a
> lot of multiple hits in any reasonble electronics time integration
> window. I doubt that it will be possible to resolve multiple hits
> even in the offline analyses with our detector resolution.

One can look from another angle. The spectrometer can measure the full
energy of the event, assuming nothing is missing. I estimated the RMS
of about 0.2GeV for some class of events (any comments?). Taking +/-2 sigmas
gives 0.8GeV of the energy interval. This is about the "microscope"
width. At the full beam the microscope counts about 300MHz (3 times more
than the photon beam in this range, because of the collimator).
Assuming the ideal 2ns timing resolution, one gets 60% of the accidentals
in the microscope. As far as I understand, this is considered acceptable
(treated as a background?).
Above 9 GeV the tagger rate per GeV is a factor of 2 lower than at 9 GeV.
One may expect a 30% rate of accidentals in the right energy range.
As far as I understand, the problem with the fixed array is not the accidentals,
but the rate of a single counter, which may be too high for a
PMT at the gain required.

Eugene