Re: Back of the envelope Dynamic range

Hi Elton,

I made a slide which I am attaching. Please check the numbers as I show
what a MIP in the chamber corresponds to the charge into the preamp.

Regards,
Fernando

Elton Smith wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Yesterday during your presentation you showed the dynamic range of the
> preamp to saturate at 400 fC. We are a little confused about the range
> required. I know that there was quite a bit of discussion at the time the
> range was decided, but simple estimates give higher numbers and we need to
> know what we are missing.
>
> Fernando was correct in that the induced signal on the wire on the wire
> coming from the electron signal is only about 20% of the avalanch charge
> (in the first say 10 ns). Therefore, we obtain the following for a minimum
> ionizing track:
>
> Simon says that the gain of the FDC is about 0.8x10^5.
>
> assume: 100 ions, 20% of Qtot, Gain=10^5, e=1.6x10^-19.
> Signal charge (anode) = 0.2 x 100 x 10^5 x 1.6x10^-19 ~ 300 fC
> Signal charge (cathode) ~ 300 fC x 1/2 x 1/4 ~ 40 fC.
>
> My preliminary (rough) estimate concludes that this should work for the
> FDC cathodes. The FDC anodes under the nominal design do not use the
> FADCs, but would likely saturate if they do.
>
> For the CDC, the anode signal will also be used for dE/dx, so a factor of
> at least 30 is needed in dynamic range. These would clearly saturate at a
> Gain of 10^5, but we might want to run them at lower gain.  At G=10^4
> gain, and 30 dynamic range, we get a maximum signal of 900 fC, also
> saturating the preamp.
>
> Comments? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks, Elton.
>

> Elton Smith
> Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
> 12000 Jefferson Ave
> Suite # 16
> Newport News, VA 23606
> elton@jlab.org
> (757) 269-7625

Drift Chamber- signal development.pdf

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr;dom:;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606