CDC report

Hi Curtis,

I noticed today that Mike had prepared an update on the CDC for the
collaboration meeting, although it was not presented. This is likely
because it was scheduled originally and the lack of time. However, I did
briefly take a look at it and have a question about the downstream
endplate studies. One of the conclusions is that Rohacell will not work
but the honeycomb is the most rigid. Since this was not discussed, I do
not know if this was considered as a composite with skins. Clearly foam
alone would not be sufficiently rigid, but our experience is that a foam
composite with carbon fiber or stainless skins is as rigid as honeycomb
and more uniform. Accuracy in drilling can be established in the skins
with oversized holes in the foam.

Cheers, Elton.

p.s. I have also noticed that no one from the CDC group is subscribed to
the halld-tracking-hw list and I have taken the liberty to add you to the
list. This is one of the primary communication mechanisms for drift
chamber discussion.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave