follow-up on preamp/termination discussion

Hi Mitch,
	I thought perhaps I should explain further, my thoughts on the
termination. If you have any comments please do write back...
	The rationale for double-termination is as follows:
	1. It should almost completely eliminate reflections from prior pulses.
With a line terminated only at the end, completely mismatched at the
source, we may expect to have reflections probably of order of 5% of the
pulse amplitude following the main pulse (after 3*100ft/c=305ns). With
double termination these are reduced to 0.25%. [FYI Elton reminds us
rates are 600kHz on inner channels of the detector.]
	2. The cost of doing this is just a small increase in the noise level
due to the cable receiver amplifier (which now has to have 2x the gain).
However, the preamp stage should hopefully be the dominant electronic
noise source so the cable receiver's noise is negligible. In practice
the receiver circuit I have prototyped has a noise of about 13
nV/sqrt(Hz) so 92 uV in 50 MHz. This should be invisible in comparison
to the preamp noise, given the full scale signal swing on the order of
500 mV.
	3. Besides the reflection issue, I am pushing the idea that on one end
of the line there be a high common-mode impedance to ground. The point
is, ground voltage differences will otherwise cause significant
common-mode currents to flow through the signal cables, and inevitably
then also through the ground lines between the preamp boards and the
chamber (which is the ground reference point for the preamp boards). The
impedance of the gound connections there, translates this into a voltage
source in series with the chamber capacitance, putting charge into the
preamp inputs. This worries me (at least) - although Fernando states
that in the CLAS setup they do not maintain a high common-mode impedance
termination on either end, and don't have any spurious ground noise
pickup problems. We did have such problems on AGS E896 drift chamber,
but I don't know really that my high common-mode impedance plan would
have mitigated them... I'm just being paranoid, not to have such problems.
	Anyway, since the preamp has a very limited voltage compliance on its
outputs, the common-mode termination has to be set at the preamp board.
Without using transformers that means a differential-mode termination as
well. So, we are lead to use a double termination, by this
consideration. [Ok, we could imagine no termination at the far end of
the line, only high impedance... Rather nonstandard but possibly worth
considering.]

	Specifically, assuming a 100 Ohm cable, I suggest that the preamp
boards have a split termination (50 Ohms each) to 1.25V (and will need
an opamp circuit to provide this 1.25V reference without a lot of wasted
quiescent power). The ADC boards will have a 100 Ohm differential
termination.
	The ASIC test boards should have a split termination (50 Ohms each) to
1.25V, or a Thevinin equivalent using 4x 100 Ohm resistors. It should
also have a differential termination using two equal resistors in
series, with the midpoint accessible for probing (to observe the
common-mode output which ideally is zero). At some point, we might want
to study the ASIC pulse response to some standard input pulse, as a
function of the common-mode termination voltage. To that end, it would
be better if there was a 1.25V termination supply (that could be
adjusted), common to all channels of course, rather than the Thevinin
equivalent.
	[But I acknowledge that a hand-wired quick test setup probably won't
have all that on all channels.]
	The preamp board test fixture probably uses the real cable (full
length) and has at the end either the real ADC board or a test
termination board and scope connection. That termination board ideally
should be able to look at the common-mode voltage, i.e., should use two
equal resistors in series for the differential termination.
	Thanks,

	Gerard