Re: FDC meeting minutes

Hi Simon,

    Just a small correction. The maximum junction temperature for the
regulator is Tj=125 degree C and, for reliability reasons, we need to
operate all devices below 100 degree C.

    May a foolishly suggest we stick with degree C for any further
discussions? Metric system anyone?

Regards,
Fernando

Simon Taylor wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've posted the minutes for the Dec 6 meeting to the wiki:
> http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/Minutes_12-6-2007
>
> For convenience they are also appended below.  Feel free to send
> comments/corrections/complaints to me.
>
> Simon
>
> Attending:  Fernando B., Bill C., Roger F., Chuck H., Mark I., Brian K.,
> Kim S., Simon T., Tim W.
>
> *Cooling system
>
> Bill presented two solutions for cooling the preamp cards, one involving
> straps between the cooling lines and cards and the second a refinement of
> the
> scheme with the clamps and aluminum tubes he presented last time.  The
> "strap" method did not provide sufficient heat transfer.  The temperature
> at the cards
> in this scheme would be about 159.4 degrees F, significantly higher that
> the ~125 degree F ceiling for the ASICs.  Fernando indicated that the
> temperature at the regulator on the preamp cards should be kept below 100
> degrees F due to problems of reliability at high temperatures, which means
> that at the copper brackets this temperature should be less than about 30
> degrees C (=86 degrees F).  The "tube" method leads to about 90 degrees F
> at the copper bracket, so it is clearly a better solution than the "strap"
> method.
> Bill was able to position connectors on the cathode boards for the cooling
> system to accommodate both the cathode and anode cards without moving any
> of the connector positions on the anode boards, which means that Kim does
> not have to modify the STB board design.  The coolant we are planning to
> use is fluorinert ([http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinert wikipedia
> article] at about 72 degrees F.  It is not clear we will need a chiller,
> but it might be nice.   The coolant feed will be in the region of the
> rails.  The tubes will be attached to the frames at various places.  One
> possible place where the design could be improved is the mechanism of heat
> transfer from the brackets to the tube: the current idea is to use thermal
> epoxy but a few degree improvement may be possible with another choice.
> Tim suggested indium.  Since the "tube" design is right on the borderline
> of being acceptable for the amount of cooling the cards need, we should
> probably
> do a test.  Bill has already generated suitable drawings of the brackets.
>
> *Wire frames for winding test
>
> Brian has constructed 4 of the 5 frames (2 with low density Rohacell and 2
> with medium density Rohacell).  The 5th should be done by some time next
> week,
> whereupon the next task is to work on the cathode planes.  We are only
> planning to ship 3 of the 5 to whereever we end up doing the winding.
>
> *Cathode readout
>
> Roger is continuing to work on the rigid-flex boards.  The rigid boards
> [...]
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA