Re: New CDC prototypes

Hi, Yves.

Regarding the availability of suitable magnets, the short answer is that
it would be difficult to find any magnets with sufficient magnetic field
or gap size or with the correct orientation for cosmic ray studies such
that the magnetic field would be parallel to the straws. Certainly we
came up with nothing truly suitable for studying the FDC. The magnet we
used in Hall B has a gap of about 15 cm and goes up to ~1.2 Tesla. You
could in principle fit a few layers of straws in there, but the magnetic
field would be perpendicular to the wires, so that's no good. I have a
vague recollection that there may be a magnet at Brookhaven that at
least has a large enough gap size (48 inches)...

Simon