Re: Tracking Conference Call

Hello everyone,

The following is a tentative plan for testing the ASIC preamps with the
wire chamber prototypes. Please add or modify as needed and once we
settle on the issues I will write a document and place it on the portal.
The results of these tests will also be documented. Note that test steps
below are the same for the CDC and FDC (just a start) but these may
differ on the final iteration.

Purpose: Develop tests for the CDC and FDC prototype wire chambers with
the new ASIC preamp hardware to verify the operating characteristics of
the system. This information will be provided to Mitch Newcomer and his
group for design optimization of the GAS-2 ASIC.

CDC:
1. Test Setup - Describe required hardware and disposition.
2. Chamber gain plot & HV plateau with the anticipated gas mixtures -
Describe procedure.
3. Operating HV
4. Source - Fe55, cosmics, etc.
5. Dynamic Range - Observed and estimations.
6. Amplitude Distributions - May need to disable shaping on shaper board
and provide estimations for actual operating conditions.
7. Collection or gallery of pulses - scope pictures and data. Data may
be available from the scope (as input to Excel) or from fADCs. Describe.
8. Noise - Need to know or estimate detector and readout capacitance.
May add additional capacitance at preamp input to simulate final
detector configuration.
9. Schedules

FDC:
1. Test Setup - Describe required hardware and disposition.
2. Chamber gain plot & HV plateau with the anticipated gas mixtures -
Describe procedure.
3. Operating HV
4. Source - Fe55, cosmics, etc.
5. Dynamic Range - Observed and estimations.
6. Amplitude Distributions - May need to disable shaping on shaper board
and provide estimations for actual operating conditions.
7. Collection or gallery of pulses - scope pictures and data. Data may
be available from the scope (as input to Excel) or from fADCs. Describe.
8. Noise - Need to know or estimate detector and readout capacitance.
May add additional capacitance at preamp input to simulate final
detector configuration.
9. Schedules

 From the results of these tests, we should be able to specify what
gains and shaping constants are required or acceptable for operation of
the CDC, the FDC anodes and the FDC cathodes. Please note that not all
parameters may be available to fully exercise the dynamic range that
will be encountered in the experiment. Therefore,  estimates from
simulations or calculations will be necessary.

Please provide feedback ASAP. I suggest we finalize these plans by the
end of this week.

Thanks and regards,
Fernando
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA