Re: FDC/CDC ASIC meeting minutes

Hi guys,
	Yves, can you clarify, the gains listed in table 2 are determined from
the scope photos shown in fig. 8, right? Where exactly on the histogram
for instance in 8(b) did you call the peak amplitude? It seems to me
rather subjective, and perhaps there is no reason to expect this
procedure to asymptote to a constant gain as you lower the bias voltage.
I agree with your conclusion that the plainly evident change of preamp
pulse shape at higher bias voltages affects the effective gain. Is it
not possible that the shape continues to change at lower voltages? (You
could capture a set of waveforms, normalize _each_ individually to same
peak amplitude, and then average them, and compare the results of this
procedure at different bias voltages. This could provide some
quantitative indication of how much the shape is changing from
saturation of the preamp or whatever other effects.) Finally, one other
point, the scope trigger threshold in fig 8 is pretty high (compared to
the noise level), it seems. This must have some effect on the effective
gain that you get from reading these histograms. Can you try to repeat
at much lower threshold and see if it gives better results?

	- Gerard

p.s. Are the histograms (I presume in a narrow time window) centered on
the peak time of the pulse in each of the 6 cases independently, or at
fixed time, not therefore picking up the peak amplitude? I presume/hope
you have done the former.

p.p.s. One more thing, the double-humped spectra, did you guys discuss
could it have anything to do with the double-humped spectra you see from
the preamp out at higher bias voltages in fig 8? Therein, it looks like
some feature saturation behaviour of the preamp ASIC...