Re: CDC and FDC characterization

Hi Fernando,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:

> Hi Yves,
>

> Yves Van Haarlem wrote:
>> Hi All,

>>> Indeed.  I am not sure if Simon and Yves have done this systematically but
>>> they could re-check their analysis.
>> For the CDC the gas gain is determined by tuning GARFIELD to Fe-55 data
>> with the gas gain as only free parameter. For the shaper gain both CDC/FDC
>> use the signal amplitude to measure the shaper gain. This gain is signal
>> shape dependent.
> Ok, but when you analyze the data from the fADCs (amplitude distributions),
> you need to sum all the samples within a time window (drift time?) for each
> trigger, instead of just peak values.

In the GlueX-doc-1079 you'll see we always do both, integrating and taking
the peak value. We notice that there is just a conversion factor between
them (around 4) for signals with the same shape (this is not a suprise I
think). For dE/dx measurements we probably want to integrate the signal as
signal shapes may vary due to different track lengths. The integration
does not depend on signal shape that much while the amplitude might. To
see how the amplitude scales with tracklength we tilted the chamber. What
we saw was a x2 amplitude for x2 tracklength. We emphasize more on
amplitude because of the dynamic range of the fADC (which might overflow).
At least this is how I understand why we did these studies.

Cheers,
 	Yves