Re: CDC prototype

10am Friday it is. We can do the normal polycom.

Cheers,

       Tim

Curtis A. Meyer wrote:
Friday at 10:00 works for Curtis as well --  Curtis
On Tue November 4 2008, Yves Van Haarlem wrote:

Hi Tim,

Friday 10am is good for both Gary and me. I believe it might be a problem
for Curtis as he teaches on Friday mornings if I am not mistaken.

Cheers,
 	Yves

                           /--------------------------------
                          /   Yves Van Haarlem
        _--~~--_         /
      /~/_|  |_\~\      /      Carnegie Mellon University
     |____________|    /        Department of Physics
     |[][][][][][]|:= /          Wean Hall room 8404
   __| __         |__ \       	 Pittsburgh, PA 15213
  |  ||. |   ==   |  | \           USA
(|  ||__|   ==   |  |) \
  |  |[] []  ==   |  |   \   	    Tel.:   +1 412 268-6949
  |  |____________|  |    \                  +1 412 641-9252
  /__\            /__\     \	      Fax.: +1 412 681-0648
   ~~              ~~       \-----------------------------------

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Tim Whitlatch wrote:

Thanks Yves,

We can discuss some of the ideas maybe later in the week. Are you, Gary and
Curtis available Friday 10am?

Tim

Yves Van Haarlem wrote:

Hi All,

I had some discussion with Gary and I can list some things we learned by
wiring up this prototype:

- The teflon wires are very stiff and difficult to handle, all the wires
have the same length at the moment - it would make things easier if all
wires have different lengths dependent on the distance: connector-wire.
  --> use different cable?

- It would be good to glue the pin in the pinholder (add one drip of glue)
after stringing the wires. In this way it is not so easy to break a wire if
something goes wrong with connecting the cables to it. We plan to do this
in the future.

- Due to the fact that 8 straws are not read out (the preamp now has only
16 channels) the mapping is messed up (those 8 straws have to be on the
edges) - this did not make things easier.

Overall it was not easy to cable those straws up and more thinking is
needed. We also plan on building a model to test more possibilies. Our
priority at the moment is to finish the new prototype first.

Cheers,
    Yves

                          /--------------------------------
                         /   Yves Van Haarlem
       _--~~--_         /
     /~/_|  |_\~\      /      Carnegie Mellon University
    |____________|    /        Department of Physics
    |[][][][][][]|:= /          Wean Hall room 8404
  __| __         |__ \            Pittsburgh, PA 15213
 |  ||. |   ==   |  | \           USA
(|  ||__|   ==   |  |) \
 |  |[] []  ==   |  |   \           Tel.:   +1 412 268-6949
 |  |____________|  |    \                  +1 412 641-9252
 /__\            /__\     \          Fax.: +1 412 681-0648
  ~~              ~~       \-----------------------------------

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Yves Van Haarlem wrote:

Hi Tim,

I believe not - but I am not 100% sure - we plan to build something larger
to simulate the real situation.

Cheers,
    Yves

                         /--------------------------------
                        /   Yves Van Haarlem
      _--~~--_         /
    /~/_|  |_\~\      /      Carnegie Mellon University
   |____________|    /        Department of Physics
   |[][][][][][]|:= /          Wean Hall room 8404
 __| __         |__ \            Pittsburgh, PA 15213
|  ||. |   ==   |  | \           USA
(|  ||__|   ==   |  |) \
|  |[] []  ==   |  |   \           Tel.:   +1 412 268-6949
|  |____________|  |    \                  +1 412 641-9252
/__\            /__\     \          Fax.: +1 412 681-0648
 ~~              ~~       \-----------------------------------

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Tim Whitlatch wrote:

Thanks Yves,

In the pictures it looks like the conductive rubber sleeves are highly
strained. Also, was all the wiring done from 1 side to simulate the
actual situation?

Thanks,

     Tim

Yves Van Haarlem wrote:

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately Gary is sick at the moment and I was not here when the
wiring was done. But this is what I know:

How did the wiring to the crimp pins go?

It was a bit painful because of a weird mapping: 8 channels will not be
read out at first - so those had to go to the edges. We used Teflon
cables because those are better protected for soldering but they are
stiffer. The cables all have the same length and there is discussion to
make the lengths variable.

What order was the assembly done in (wires soldered to connector first?

First the connector is made gas tight. Then the wires are soldered to it
and marked plus the conductive booties are attached to the cables. I
believe then the connector is screwed on the end plenum and the wires
are moves over the crimp pins.

then connector secured and then wires connected to crimp pins)? How
much sca for doing this between plexiglass and crimp pins?

The thickness of the end plenum is 2 inch, the length of the cables is 3
inch - they could have been shorter if not for this weird mapping.

We believe that this method is not the perfect one and should be
improved. As soon Gary is here we have more info.

Cheers,
    Yves

Thanks,

     Tim