Re: CDC upstream end config

Hi Tim,

My comments follow:

Tim Whitlatch wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Per our video conference this morning, the following was discussed;
>
> Gary will continue to manufacture a 24 place upstream plate with
> proper geometries from "geometry C". this will give room for
> simulating worst case spacial considerations for assy. He will pursue
> the original type setup with 5.5 inch long cables max.
>
> As a backup, Gary will manufacture an offset plate with the 24 holes
> to take the stress off the conductive rubber sleeve (per SLAVA)
>
> Fernando, Gary followed up on the coax cables you suggested. They all
> seem to come without an outside insulating jacket. Is it possible to
> use these cables by keeping the braided shield at ground? Also, is it
> possible to use cable that is not rated for our high voltage by doing
> some tests?
Of the two suggestions to check the cable routing, one of the coaxes
should have a jacket but the semi-rigid cable should have an aluminized
jacket. In this case, an insulating sleeve/jacket needs to be installed
and there are various types offered by multiple companies. I suggest
FEP, if available in the required diameter. The shield needs to be at HV
and in normal operation the potential difference between the shield and
the inner conductor is zero. However, if a straw wire is disabled, the
full HV potential will be present and the cable needs to conform to
these requirements.

Cables can certainly be tested at higher voltages than the rated
operating voltage specified by the manufacturer but that's a safety
issue. I strongly recommend against overlooking the manufacturer's
safety specifications.

Regards,
Fernando

> I will pursue with Tom Carstens from Hall B about connector leaks on
> their drift chambers.
>
> Yves will look at getting some extension pcbs made for testing Slava's
> ides per layout on 9-29-08. Can we get a connector made directly onto
> the HV board that would plug into this?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Tim

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA